Greenwich Reserve, on The Strand in Newport, is a very pretty sporting spot. The reserve is home to cricket, baseball and lacrosse (and, long ago, footy). An athletics track is just over the road. The local power station, and especially its chimney, provides a backdrop. There are views across to the city and of big ships at the mouth of the Yarra. Newport is an inner-western suburb of Melbourne.
Williamstown Colts Cricket Club’s origins date back to the formation, in 1955/56, of St Mary’s Junior Cricket Club, which played at nearby Market Reserve. It then became known as WCCC and, briefly in the 1960s, when its home ground was in Altona, as Altona Colts Cricket Club.
The blue and gold Colts have been at The Strand now for just over 40 years. The clubrooms were a wooden shack until the six-sided Ron Dawes Pavilion was opened in 1976.
As for the scoreboard, it has an attractive home-made feel about it. Wonder if it was made in the old wooden shed many years ago?